Okay. So, last Tuesday, I was out of gas for my stove. It was 2200HRS and I had yet eat anything. I was a bit desperate because I didn’t want to order deliveries. I wanted a homemade meal, a tomato-based pasta to be specific. I know, I know. No working stove. But at that time, I really wanted to eat that delicious meal.
And then, I glanced over to the microwave. Unused. It just seemed logical to make something using that piece of equipment. I knew it was possible but I was a bit skeptical as I haven’t done any meal using a microwave before. So, I quickly searched online on how to cook pasta from a microwave.
Well, I was definitely not crazy because there is a way to cook pasta using microwave. Also, there was this one article I found during my search: a girl lost 180 pounds just by eating meals made in a microwave! Here, here, the link: Woman Loses 180 Pounds In 30 Days After Miracle Microwave Diet …
Of course that was good for her, for being able to shed all of those weight using microwave diet. Apparently, they discovered that the vitamins, mineral, and all of the good stuff from the ingredients won’t get lost in the microwave, as popular beliefs. I was quite surprised myself. Because, to be fair, most of the meals I heated through microwave, especially cooked rice, was not really as appetizing as if I were to steam it. But, since I was in a bind, and was quite ravenous, I had no other way than to make use of the microwave and start making my pasta.
Most recipes said to use elbow pasta, fusili, or any small type pasta, but I had none of those. I only had fettucini, and I used that instead by breaking the fettucini into three somewhat equal pieces. I put the broken down fettucini into a bowl on top of a bigger plate, just in case it boiled over, and topped it with water, just enough to cover the fettucini pieces. Then, I put it in the microwave and set it off 3 to 4 minutes over the instructed cooking time. Easy.
That’s the result! I have to say, I was very proud of myself! (That was not the whole portion though, just a tiny fraction of the whole, just enough to make pretty pictures)
Anyway, here’s the ingredient list of my version of the microwave pasta.
- Pasta of your choice (recommended pasta: elbow pasta, macaroni, fusili, small pasta); if you only have spaghetti or fettucini or any long pasta, break them off into pieces, like I mentioned above. I didn’t measure, I just balled it. ;))
- Water, just enough to cover the pasta
- Salt (I skipped the salt because I forgot, but it turned out I only needed the salt for my sauce so the pasta itself was not too salty)
Direction to cook the pasta, as mentioned above. Drain the water and add a little bit of olive oil so that the pasta won’t stick together.
Now, the sauce. Oh, the sauce.
I also had to make the sauce in the microwave because it was cold, as it was in the fridge. And I wanted to add onions and green peppers to my pasta, so I decided to cook the sauce in the microwave as well.
Here’s the ingredients:
- Half green pepper (or any pepper you prefer), diced
- Half of yellow onion, diced
- 6-8 tablespoons of tomato sauce (I used 5 tbps of ready-made tomato basil sauce and 3 tbps of tomato puree)
- a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tsps olive oil
- 4 tsps sugar (more if your tomato puree is too sour)
- a knob of butter, unsalted; keep this for later.
- Dump everything together, except the butter, into a microwaveable bowl, stir evenly
- Cover with plastic wrap or microwaveable lid
- Put in microwave on high for 8-10 minutes
- Pour everything on the pasta, add the butter, and stir everything together
Taste review: DELICIOUS! DELICIOSO! I give it 5 stars out of 5!! *****
Everything tasted sooooooo good!! I couldn’t believe myself when I said that it was the best pasta I’ve ever made in my entire life! The sauce was rich, the pasta was perfectly cooked, and the peppers… heaven!! As you might know, green peppers are usually less sweet than the other colored peppers, but in this pasta, WOW! So sweet! And I’m not even forgetting the onion! It was super sweet, not spicy at all, and complement the sauce very, very well!
Go ahead and try! I’m a 100% certain that you won’t regret it and will definitely crave for more of this very easy microwave pasta! And the best thing is: it is completely VEGAN, if you take out the butter and maybe change the olive oil to coconut oil! So, maybe VEGETARIAN would be more appropriate. ;))
Well, let me know if you’ve tried it! I would love to hear what you think about it!
Till next post!